The original Renaissance castle was built between 1585 and 1597 by the then owners of the Kynžvart estate, the squires of Cedvice. Apart from the original vaulting and its Venetian plastering, nothing of this building remains. After the Battle of White Mountain in 1620, in which the owner of the castle Kryštof Jindřich of Cedvice stood on the loosing anti-Hapsburg side, the Castle Kynžvart was confiscated. In 1623 the castle was leased to the Catholic Metternich family and subsequently this old German family from Rhineland purchased the property in 1630. In the years between 1681 and 1691 the castle was rebuilt in the Baroque style and gained the appearance of an aristocratic country home. The most important era in the castle's history was undoubtedly the time when it was owned by Klemens Wenzel Metternich (1773 – 1859), the minister for foreign affairs and, during the years 1821 to 1848, the State Chancellor of the Austrian empire. Count Metternich entered the history books as an able politician during the Napoleonic wars and the initiator and chairman of the Congress of Vienna (1814 – 1815), which reshaped European territorial arrangement after the defeat of Napoleon.