The Baroque curtain walls were constructed between 1653 – 1730 when Prague was redesigned into a Baroque fortress with a citadel located at Vyšehrad (Czech for ``upper castle``). Neglected city walls around Prague were reconstructed and the old Gothic walls remained in place only in certain sections. The fortifications were reinforced with bastions (bulwarks). The Baroque “Marian” curtain walls, named after the small Virgin Mary Church near the Písecká brána (Sand Gate), led from the Prašný most (Powder Bridge) over across Pohořelec and Petřín towards the Vltava river, and on the other side towards Letná. Of the fortress entrance gates, only the Písecká brána (also called Bruská) has been preserved to the present day. The decision to get rid of the city walls was taken in 1860. The walls to the west of Písecká brána was demolished in 1898 and during the 1899 and 1901 years the Royal Military School (nowadays the Ministry of Defense) building was constructed in such place. The eastern part was gradually removed after 1901.